Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Which do you prefer, being in a large school or a small one ? (COMPARE & CONTRAST ESSAY)




 I prefer being in a small school.
    When I was in primary school, we had only about two hundred pupils in the school. I knew just about every teacher and pupil of the school. In fact, all of us knew each another and the school was like a huge family. The teachers  were like uncles and aunts. The schoolmates were friendly and we really had great times together.

    The atmosphere in school was terrific. We were small and we cared for each other. The headmaster was a kind man who knew how to look after children. He never had to cane anyone. The children  simply loved being in school. So, we never created any trouble.

    Now, I am in secondary school., This school has almost two thousands students. It is too large for my liking. Even after three years here, I only knows those in my class and some from other classes. The students are definitely  less friendly here. So are the teachers, whereas in my old  school the teachers  were like uncles and aunts, those here are just  like strangers we meet on the streets. I am not saying all the teachers are like that, but I say quite  a number of them do not seem  to be bothered  whether they knows us or not.

   As the school is divided into two sessions, those who came in the morning, do not know those who come in the afternoon at all. The teachers themselves do not know all their colleagues. How can we students know all our schoolmates? It is impossible. This sort of thing does nothing to bring about  a friendly atmosphere in the school. 



   Almost every month the headmaster  cane some students in public. I have never  seen such thing in my old school. I suspect the guilty students  are merely trying  to get some attention. They are sorely neglected. Most of these so-called 'naughty' brats come from the weaker class. I had on occasion, passed by these E and F classes. What do I see? Pandemonium- I do not any teacher  in the class and the students are left to their own devices. No wonder they break  chairs and tables and make trouble. Then they punished for their offences. In the first place who is responsible for their neglect? Fortunately, I am not in one of these classes. Otherwise, I would have been caned now. 

   When I had to leave primary school to come up to secondary, I felt  sad having to go  away from a place that I loved. I look forward  to the day when I can leave. That is how different the two schools are. The small school really  made me feel wanted  and I enjoyed being there. This huge monster of a school makes me unwanted  and I do not enjoy being  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment